Thursday, January 25, 2007

No Rest for the Wicked

For the third week in a row I have to go into work on my day off. I've had two days off since I returned to work from our holiday shutdown. I shouldn't be complaining because if you added up the hours I've spent twidling my thumbs, it's a wash for sure. I'm just trying to find solutions, help our customer and everywhere I turn I'm greeted with "it can't be done" "we've never done that" "their not capable of that level of expertise". And the more digging I do the more areas I see that need to be improved upon. So wherein the complaint might not be valid the opportunity should still be taken to improve.

And all the fucking complaining. It's unbelievable. How dare you ask me to do my job? All these people could be spending their time productively, instead of being negative and/or pointing fingers. And the real rub is to hear people complaining about our customer! The one who is always right.

Even those that have valid reasons for thinking the customer's request is unreasonable I thought would have at least entertained the idea of "hey, let's be positive and take this opportunity to improve." Let's spend a little more money on training and changing attitude and philosophies, but apparently, I'm delusional.

I don't understand why people don't get it. Or maybe it's me, but it seems to be happening everywhere. It's ignorance. It's arrogance. Why would we choose to sit on our ass and complain when we have the opportunity to save our ass?

I'm not saying that what we produce is bad. It's not, it's merely a matter of interpretation. So, if the customer wants it better we have an obligation to try and make it better.

But what is to become of us if we don't try?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy! That sure was some tirade.

Remember change is hard for everyone, and it's only human nature for people to react defensively, when they know they have screwed up.

There is fault to be had on both sides, and everyone has legitimate concerns. We just need to deal with them in a sensible fashion.

That's why we have a sales department, to listen to everyones concerns, and filter the emotion out of the equation.

Calm down!

Becky said...

Hey, you're not the boss of me on my blog, just at work :-)

I get to have tirades here so I don't have them at work.

Anonymous said...

Do I sense another tirade?

Becky said...

no, it's called humor.

Cheryl said...

I see you are experiencing the wonders of corporate America also. Peeps are getting lazy for customer service/satisfacton all for the bottom line.