Saturday, November 11, 2006

Life's Little Ironies

Or "How I spent my Veterans Day".

I was on the internet getting cranky with Bush (the Draft Dodger)and Veteran's Day. The site of him saluting a soldier at Arlington Cemetary gave me the creeps. I love cemetaries and I don't like creeps in them. It's disrespectful to the dead.

So I left and went to the Coffee Bean for my morning coffe and there was this guy twisting his back, so naturally I stated, "I wished I could move like that." As my brother always says, "you'd talk to a serial killer if he stood next to you in line."

He asked if I had back problems. I told him my story and he has a herniated disc too, only worse, and is waiting for a new procedure performed by the Kaiser on Sunset Blvd. (I think). His name was Ronny and he was from Israel and had the coolest accent. We talked about everything from George W. Bush to Sai Baba.

Has anyone heard of Sai Baba? Note to self: Read up on Sai Baba.

Ronny had nice things to say about our country which was ironic considering I was just cranky about Bush (the draft dodger) and Veteran's Day.

If it weren't for my first weaving lesson I would have talked to him all day he was that fascinating. It was also cute to see him struggle with English.

So, I went to my weaving lesson, made a wrong turn and ended up at a turkey shoot, "what the fuck", turned around and made it to class in time by way of walking through this art studio with sculptures, ceramics, baskets and god knows what else I could ruin with this fricken loom flung over my shoulder like a bull in a china shop. The first question the instructor asks was "what made you want to learn to weave?" I told her about these garments I saw at the Santa Monica Fiber Arts Show and how beautiful they were and how I wanted to try it and I remember they were right across from the Cat's and Cobwebs booth and (did I mention I can talk forever?) and it was her stuff.

So, I got my first weaving lesson from the woman whose garments inspired me to weave.

All in all it was a good day and it took a foreigner to remind me I live in a good country, despite the draft dodger in the house. He'll be gone soon.


And that fact alone made me beam.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sai baba modestly tried to meld and confirm all faiths, although mostly hindu and muslim, by teaching the common sence approach that loosley translates to... 'we are all in this together, can't we all just get along'
peace love happiness is what i've always said....

Becky said...

Why, that's a wonderful philosophy.

Peace out, to quote Jacob.

Beatriz said...

Weaving?! I remember seeing that at the Santa Monica Fiber Fest...it's beautiful. I'll keep an eye out for your weaving projects now.

Beatriz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

She had a booth of beautiful wraps. They are teaching basketweaving this weekend.

Becky said...

Whence upon the yellow sand

ye sahll die by human hands!

A pox upon you. Anonymous