Thursday, November 02, 2006

The War on Anxiety

Does anyone understand exactly what the "War on Terror" means? Isn't that like the War on Anxiety? Are they going to take away my Zanax? I personally cannot understand how you can have a metaphoric war, but then I've never been in the military, but apparently that doesn't matter because neither have our leaders who have lead us to this place. How about a War on Hypocrisy in Religion.? Sign me up.

The idea is too subjective for me to wrap my mind around. You might as well tell me we are having a war on philosophy because I wouldn't understand that either. Apparently we have had numerous metaphoric wars and we suck at them.

Does anyone remember who won the War on Poverty? I don't even remember the sit in. Or how about the War on Drugs? How about a war on laundry?

As you can see I'm not real happy with our situation, but as Emerson so eloquently phrased it, "The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."

So, be useful, be honorable, be compassionate, make a difference and don't forget to vote.

2 comments:

Christina said...

after i go out to Mexican Food with Tyson, there is usually a War on Gas in my house...

I should write a book, or a strongly worded letter, or something.

Anonymous said...

I never thoought I'd enlist to go to war but I'm "feeling" the war on laundry. I want one of the washers that was on Lost in Space, where the clothes would come out clean, folded and in a plastic bag. Why haven't they put them on the market yet? It's been years since that was shown. It was on tv so it has to exist right?