Sunday, July 08, 2007

Did I Mention I Was Born With My Foot In My Mouth?

I was hanging out at my local coffee shop today knitting where I meet the nicest people. Okay, he wasn't there today, but I did buy him someting for his nose.

So, I'm knitting and as always, knitting is an ice breaker and people come up, ask questions, yadda yadda yadda. So today this lovely couple were in town from Thousand Oaks. Big drive. She was admiring my Central Park Hoodie and we talked about yarn stores. She'd never heard of AFY so I gave her directions. A really nice lady. They're getting ready to go to Florida. She knit a sweater for her granddaughter and her grandson wants a vest.

So, then her husband and I start to talk and they had gone to see the Tennessee Three last night in the park. We have free concerts in Constitution Park during the summer months and John and I had gone with Sandy and Marty and we had a great time, but we never heard the end of where Sandy and I had strategically situated the chairs. You see, when we placed the chairs on the grass they were in the shade. When we went back to watch the concert the sun HAD MOVED! True story, I wouldn't shit you.

Okay, so back to the coffee shop. So this man and I were talking about the concert and how they should do someting about the kids running around and then he says something silly about women and knitting. And my standard line with all men is "Did you bring your whittling?" And I'll be go to hell if that man didn't show me a scar about three inches long on his left hand (palm area) that he got from WHITTLING! "True story", his wife said.

Who the fuck still whittles?

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Don't you love those psychic rantings with people?

Laura said...

dude, if you think whittling is rare you would be SHOCKED here. portland has soooooooo many whittlers it's ridiculous! young ones too...

Becky said...

Yes, I do love a good rant.

Young whittlers? Sounds like a punk band.

Jessica said...

I'd check out the Young Whittlers.

What yarn are you using for your Central Park Hoodie? I think I need one for this fall and winter. Luckily, I even have the magazing stashed away here somewhere.

Becky said...

Jessica:

I am using Cascade 220.

Jessica said...

I LOVE cascade 220.