Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Rant Therefore I am

I didn't get to go knit with the girls tonight so naturally I was a little bummed. I spent it with my husbands family. And every time I'm bummed I get a card or a letter from Elmo. It just always works out that way.

I was glad to hear he received his package. I was a little concerned when I discovered I can no longer do my own shopping at my local grocer and send the box all by myself.

No, now I have to go online and buy from some company who landed the contract to supply inmates with Top Ramen for 45 cents a pop when I can get 10 for a dollar at my local store. It cost me a lot more than it use to to send him his not-to-exceed 45 pounds of basic stuff. Soap (no more than 4 bars) deodorant (no more than two) , etc. Just basic stuff. But check this out, now I can buy rap music, doo rags, gold chains, tennis shoes, Pete Rose Cookies and William Perry Donuts. I can't get an art book by Gordon Parks past the guards yet I can send him a doo rag and a gold chain.

Again, I've lost my train of thought. When I sent Elmo a letter telling him to expect his package I also informed him that John says he has to mow the lawn when he gets out.

Elmo had this to say on the subject













Sending a package to a friend who's been in prison for over 28 years is the least I can do. And I know he truly appreciates getting them. He's never asked me to do it and he's never complained about his situation. But if I bug him long enough he'll send me his "wish list".

But what really chaps my hide is to think of the money being made off of the situation. There are millions of people in prison and each and every one of them has someone who cares for them no matter what they have done. And that's money to be made and it's just wrong.

Geez, I really can't miss any more knitting nights with the girls.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I with you on the exploitation thing.

I just got here and learned that our Cuban refugee crain operator, that's a job that commands about $100 an hour in the states, gets paid $3 an hour. I just don't understand why we don't pay minimum wage for a highly specialized job that not many people are qualified to hold. It's embarassing.

The new prison suply system is embarassing, too. Who thinks this is OK? How is this not a monopoly?

Sometimes life just makes you angry.

Becky said...

$3 an hour that isn't even minimum wage. That is just wrong on so many levels.

Jessica said...

So many levels is right. It turns out that the government doesn't pay them, it's hired out to contractors who only have to pay that much.

The interesting thing is talking about it in a group and realizing that some people think not only is it OK, but that it's a great idea.

I really try to see the good in everyone I work with but sometimes something happens and it becomes very difficult.