Saturday, March 24, 2007

Conversations with Mother

This morning Mother discussed with me (over the phone) free floating fetal cells that flow within the mother’s blood stream and how a women can have a simple blood test to determine the sex of your child since within the fetal cells is the fetuses DNA. Is this new? I asked. Well they known this for years, mother scolded, and reminded me of Rh Factors, and blood test before marriage and I forgot what else because I think I was petting the cat. Jeez, it wasn’t even noon yet.

Her point is, is that women don’t need to have these expensive tests that are painful, invasive and can cause damage to an unborn child. But the majority of doctors are men. Need I say more? Boy, she went on a rant for a good ten minutes.

She also informed me that in rare cases the have found fetal cells in the skin lesions of women who suffer from something called scleroderma, which I have never heard of either. So, I had to Google it thanks to mother. Sounds like something my kids would do, though.

Fetal cells have their advantages, too. The fetal cells store in the mother’s spleen and serve as a reserve of stem cells that can rush in and repair a mother’s organs, when need be.

So the bond between mother and child is even greater than I had ever imagined. And I owe it all to mother.

I just hope my cells kick in when she needs them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting!

I have heard, or read or something, that women who don't give birth are more likely to get diseases or cancers etc.

Sounds like a good case against birth control. If a little is good, that a lot should be better.

Maybe the catholic church is onto something?

Becky said...

Remember, we can also get sick with lupas and scleroderma. Which are autoimmune diseases. And they theorize that it is the woman's body overreacting.

As we are known to do.