Friday, October 12, 2007

Ever Had One Of Those Days

That was so surreal and bizarre that if you hadn't been there in person you would never believe it? Me neither. But.... We had one hell of an adventure in Santa Monica while shopping for yarn.

Sandy, Lisa, Terry and I went on a road trip to Wild Fiber for some Koigu. Sandy was going to drive so we met up at her house. Terry forgot her knitting so she graciously volunteered to drive and off we go.

By the time we got to Wild Fiber, poor Terry is a nervous wreck from Lisa and myself hollering last minute directions from, where else, the back seat. Well, we were knitting and would look up at the last minute. We get to the front after a series of u-turns and cutting across driveways and Sandy had to parallel park. She is great at it, by the way.

I bought some koigu to make a baby jacket, some Socks that Rock to make a scarf from a free pattern from Natasha (the new owner) and some blue Baby Alpaca because apparently Lisa thinks I should be bathed in blue, so who am I to argue. I buy my stuff. Terry buys some stuff. Sandy rings her stuff up and decides to put something back on the shelf, sees the amount on the register and is SHOCKED at how much money some people will spend on yarn only to realize it was hers. OMG where's my phone?

There is four of us and we made at least eight trips to the cash register. While I was waiting for them to ring up there cash and prizes I spotted this purse and had to have it. It was actually calling out to me or maybe I'm hearing voices. We got directions to go eat at a coffee shop owned by Bob Dylan, we go out to Terry's car and she asks if someone will drive. Sandy volunteers, we get our bags put away and seated when Sandy turns the key to start the engine and the alarm goes off. The car wouldn't start the alarm wouldn't turn off. Lisa is suppose to be back by two to pickup her car. Sandy feels bad becasue she thinks she broke something. I'm wondering if it would be rude to return to the store and knit (where they have a/C) while they sort this out. So basically, all we needed at this point was a monkey and a football.

Terry decides to cut some wire and that didn't work. I call John and he doesn't answer the phone so I call my step-son and he thinks cutting wires probably isn't a good idea. I walk across the street to a British car mechanic ( who si obvioulsy not British) and he directs me to a 76 Station. Get back to the car, Lisa gets hold of the dealer in Thousand Oaks on her cell, they walk Terry through a serious of locking and unlocking her doors and the car still won't start and the alarm still won't stop so they suggest she get towed. Egad!

Lisa and I walk up to the 76 Station, talk to "Hector" the mechanic, he seems extremely amused by our story and volunteers to take a look at the car for us. We walk back and Terry had HOT WIRED HER CAR! She's like McGyver, only with yarn. How Terry knew how to hot wire a car I really didn't want to pry, but I was extremely impressed.

We went to the 18 Street Coffee Shop, which had a great atmosphere, had some great food and planned a bank heist for next week.

It was a great adventure. Good times, Good times.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, you said it before I could! "Good times, Good times"... Had a blast today! Terry is my hero!!

Becky said...

We really had a bombdiggity day.

Anonymous said...

Becky,
My car is fine. I used the controller I had at home and it works, even with those cut wires. I just tucked them under the dash for the next time I need to hot wire. Anyway, yesterday I just hot wired the alarm, not the ignition.
Terry

Anonymous said...

That's even better Terry! ANYONE can hotwire a care (ok, maybe not anyone...), but an alarm!? Priceless.

Beatriz said...

Wish I could have been there. It sounds like a priceless episode of yarn shopping. It might even top the episode of the book signing and the guy with tourette syndrome.

Jessica said...

I think I need to hear the story about the book signing and the guy with turrets.

I can only imagine how hard you all were laughing. I bet your stomach muscles and cheek muscles are sore today.

I can't wait to see the Kiogu (sp?) scarf pattern.

Willow said...

Well, Santa Monica will never be the same again. Oh wait, we're talking Santa Monica, that happens there every day. I love 18th St Cafe--went there when I lived in LA. Good times. Palermo seems a little staid and boring in comparison, not that that's a bad thing.

Cheryl said...

Of course adventures like this one happens when I am not around. Fun times!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm finally caught up on your blog now. As I'm reading through our adventure, I am experiencing the thrill of hearing an engine turn over. I think I kind of understand race car drivers now. It felt like we were on a desert island and just spotted the ship coming for us. However, I would do it all over again as long as yarn is involved.

Becky said...

Jessica: Click on "The Adventures of Sandy and Becky" in my label section and you can read about the Tourrettes guy at the book signing.

Laura said...

wowowowow! i'm so sorry i'm so late in reading this AMAZING post.

i can't wait to have adventures to call my own with you ladies... i swear! you guys are like action figures!

Becky said...

Yes, we are quite amazing.