Thursday, October 04, 2007

Three Kids and a Funeral

Went to a funeral today for my brother-in-laws' father, but to my boys he has always been "Grandpa Gedies. Lover of chocolates, cigars, beer and a good joke.

Roger and Jacob were pallbearers and Sean was in full dress, as Grandpa Gedies had joined the Navy at the ripe old age of 16. Sean marched in front of the coffin as his brothers and other family members carried it into the church and gave Grandpa Gedies one more salute.

Then after the Mass we went to the cemetary and the boys carried Grandpa Gedies one more time to his final resting place. Sean presented a flag to Grandma Gedies and brought an additional flag that had been given to him for his service in Iraq. The flag was flown over Iraq and he presented it to his Uncle Danny, which made it so very special.

I shed tears both for the loss of life and out of pride for my boys for stepping up at a time when someone else needed them.

And to top off the day, Jacob's girlfriend called to let us know she had passed the test Jacob had been helping her with to become a US Citizen.

I don't think I've ever been prouder of those boys.

4 comments:

Laura said...

how wonderful! my dad was in the navy too at 16... it was that or jail, straightened him out apparently.

i miss you!

Becky said...

I miss you both and at the same time I am so excited for you two.

Jessica said...

Pride in someone, and in this case many someones, is fullfulling. I'm sorry for the loss to you and your boys. But I'm glad that you know you raised great babies. And now you have the chance to raise lots of great grand babies (and knit them cool stuff, too).

Christina said...

your boys are amazing because you are amazing.
I am sorry for your loss, but glad that your family could come together in support- you certainly do have a lot to be proud of.