Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Bivouac of the Dead


I went to pay my respects to my father-in-law today. As you can see by his headstone, doormat is more like it but that's another rant, as you can see by his headstone he fought in WWII. He was shot in the head during a jump and was among but a few who survived. He received a purple heart and a plate in the head. He died in '69 from brain cancer. Who knows what they patched him up with, but the point of my rant, is there was no fucking flag at his grave site. Flags all over this weekend. He's in the nose bleed section and he didn't have a fucking flag. Not enough to go around. This is bullshit. Even in death, a soldier doesn't get enough.


The Bivouac Of The Dead

The muffled drum's sad roll has beat
The soldier's last tattoo!
No more on life's parade shall meet
The brave and fallen few.
On Fame's eternal camping ground
Their silent tents are spread,
And glory guards with solemn round
The bivouac of the dead.

Yon marble minstrel's voiceless stone
In deathless song shall tell,
When many a vanquished year hath flown,
The story how you fell.
Nor wreck nor change, nor winter's blight,
Nor time's remorseless doom,
Can dim one ray of holy light
That gilds your glorious tomb.
- Theodore O'Hara

Thank you Krsto

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are too many other things in the world, that should be of more concerned then whether a flag was place by your father-in-law's grave site.

The military is merely a way for the elite in any country to exploit the poor and down trodden, for the benefit of the elite, all in the name of patriotism.

Becky said...

Dear Anon Amous.

I beg to differ where my concerns should rest.

Yesteday is history, the future is but a concept, so all I have is now, this moment, that will in turn create a memory that I can look back on in my conceptual history.

And in that moment I wanted a fucking flag to look back on on my father-in-law's grave. A man I never met, but wanted to pay my respects to on this Memorial Day weekend and bring him up to speed on the elite still benefitting from the poor and downtrodden.

Tomorrow I will spend my day obsessing on aid to Africa being cut back yet again, women afraid to shed their Burqa's, girls denied an education, the demise of Iraqi athletes in shorts, women denied rights to their own bodies, the rise in women participating in acts of terrorism, like the Black Widows in some place in Russia I can't spell, what the fuck will Pat Robertson say next? Were Pah, Hoss and Little Joe gay or just Hopsing?

Today I am going to ride my horse and give thanks for the priviledge of feeling the wind on my skin. I like to think that my freedoms are in part, due to those poor downtrodden like my father-in-law.

Because I can.

Anonymous said...

Then I suggest that you bring your own flag to your father-in-laws grave.

And quit obsessing so much. It doesn't do any good to obsess over things you have no control over.

All it will do is make you miserable and depressed.

Just go ride your horse and enjoy the moment. The future may never get here!

Becky said...

Thank you. I know what nerve!