Friday, May 26, 2006

Rantings on the Incarcerated

One in every 136 Americans is presently incarcerated in jail or prison.

Prisons account for about two-thirds of all inmates or 1.4 million while the other one-third is sitting in our jails. Sixty-two percent of those sitting in our jails have yet to be convicted of a crime and according to the U.S Justice Department 280,000 inmates are seriously mentally ill.

These statistics concern me because in addition to being an epileptic I suffer from depression due to the side effects of my medication. I'm not complaining, but timing is everything.

A hundred years ago I would have been drowned like a cat for being a witch.

Here ye here ye. Rebecca was seen writhing and foaming at the mouth when she should have been doing laundry. * What say ye good people? Witch! Witch! Very good then. Let us weigh her down with rocks and if she floats she is but a witch.

Pardon sir, but it appears that the witch has not yet risen. What a pity!

*what they should have done was waited for me to have a seizure in the bath and then threw in the laundry. That's what me mum always did.

Or a thousand years ago I would have been thought to be a divine being, as it should be.

All I know is that there are those that need to be protected from themselves and in some extreme cases need to be institutionalized. There are those that we as a society need to be protected from and they need to be institutionalized. And then there are those that commit victimless crimes, such as drug abuse, prostitution and, frankly, they need to be left the fuck alone. I mean really what is the difference between dinner and a movie for casual sex which entails your basic gamble that you will get laid which in turn is truly dependent upon your bartering skills. This is where debating comes in handy also and helps with future elections.
Or money for sex?

Damn! Now I've lost my train of thought. Wait no here it is now

I don't necessarily think they should all be housed in the same place, i.e. prison.

Unless of course the Surgeon General prescribes blow jobs for schizophrenics.

But I wouldn't advise one from an epileptic. We pack a mean bite.

3 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

I've never understood the prostitution thing, either. Even even when I was eight and learned what a prostitute was. How could that be wrong? If I want to do it, so what? My body, my choice.

When I lived in Nevada we had a cat house a few feet outside the town - zoning, you know. And I can tell you that on the moral depravity continium the people in that twon were well below average.

The other thing cat houses take care of is the Pretty Woman syndrome. None of the girls in that town think it would be cool to be a hooker. They know the women are hagared and angry, not perky and one trick away from a handsome millionaire who will save them.


Sorry about the deleted comment. That was me with a typo.

Becky said...

Yeah Mon:

Where you been?