Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My generation

So, we have a new employee at work and one of the guys responsible for interviewing her (who will now be referred to as dickhead) was so excited about her abilities, her professional attitude blah, blah, blah.

Day one: she comes to work dressed professionally and obviously notices our laid back attire. It's pretty much casual Friday here all week long. You just can't stay clean in a manufacturing enviroment, even when you work in the office. New girl rethinks her wardrobe.

Day two: New girl wears a short sleeved shirt, jeans, normal stuff, you know? and dickhead walks by and notices her tattoos. Suddenly, she's questionable?

This really pisses me off. I'm a mother of four and I admit, I'm a blank, but three out of four of my children have tattoos and piercings in places I don't need to be looking. One weekend, I left the kids home alone, thoroughly expecting to hear from the neighbors about the parties they threw, but no, they got their tongue's and eyebrows pierced instead.

So, what' the point of your rant you ask? Easy, what the fuck does what a person put on their body have to do with the person inside?

It's just their generations version of flying our freak flag.

Each generation has to differentiate themselves from the generation before. Nobody wants to be like their mother. I wouldn't be caught dead in a leather white bikini bought at Fredricks of Hollywood, but Mom, in her day, she was styling.

My boys shave their heads? Why? Because their dad had hair down to his ass and he was a pothead.

I can guaran- damn- tee you that if I had tattoos they'd be blanks.

No comments: