Thursday, October 26, 2006

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Tag is being banned from school yards across our nation. And I thought the Taliban went berserk when they banned kite flying in Afghanistan, but hey, what do I know?

I can just envision millions of American children standing at a complete stand still on the school yards during recess with their little hands plunged deep into their pockets where their yo yo’s use to be, heads hung low while the rusty swing sets (that they are no longer allowed to swing on) creaks in the wind like a fucking Twilight Zone episode.

When I was a kid we were allowed to play tether ball, dodge ball, hop scotch, tag and Red Rover. We even got to bring our own clackers to school. Does anyone remember clackers? You could put your fucking eye out or break a bone if you didn’t do it correctly. You fucked up once you didn’t do it again. And that’s how we learned.

If we got hurt it was our fault. If somebody else hurt us we were told we probably deserved it and we shut about it. It was excellent preparation for a world that is, more often than not, unfair. If we saw a construction site unattended we’d jump off of roofs into piles of insulation, which, I might add, is not wise to do with your brand new winter coat. I had to wear that scratchy thing until I grew out of it.

My point is, kids are going to play and they are going to get hurt and that’s how they learn. You cannot bring life into the world without accepting the fact that it will leave this world and in between shit is going to happen. It's called life.

I want to see children live (scabs and all) and not merely exist and I WILL PLAY TAG.

2 comments:

Christina said...

let 'em lick the handles of the shopping cart! it builds immunity, thats what I say!

Becky said...

Now you're talking.

Loved meeting the little woman. One of these days I'm going to get me one too.