Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Adventures of Sandy and Becky


So tonight Sandy drove us to Hollywood to get our Knit 2 Together books signed by Mel Clark and Tracy Ullman. We had already purchased our books at Mels' store, but it was fun to go to Hollywood. And anytime Sandy and I get together it's a laugh-fest that the rest of the motorist population is not amused by.

But I have to tell you about this guy sitting in the back during the book reading. I swear he was a cross between Stephen Hawkins and a heckler with Turrets Syndrome. He would pop off with the strangest string of words strung together and start laughing and then I was laughing so hard I was crying. People were staring like I was crazy. I should have known something was up when they had us sitting in the sports section. He would mumble something, say "degenerates" then write in a book. Later Sandy asked "what was he saying about Ellen?"

So, we got in line and had our books signed (that we bought at Mel's store) joked with Tracy about Mental Illness and then asked Mel if in her next book she would be so kind as to put in some recipes for scones or at the very least teach us American's how to make a decent spot of tea.

Met some more knitters and Sandy met a knitter with an Akita. Just like Jack. There was a fellow knitter sitting next to me during the reading and his name is Dave and Sandy and I visited with him over coffee after the reading. He is an amazing knitter. The sweater he had on was gorgerous. The color scheme umbelievable and he knit it in the round and then cut it. If he ever gives lessons I am definitely signing up.

Dave and Sandy were sitting there talking about things like New York, Habu and advertising and I'm looking for my needle that turns out to stuck behind my ear. Same place I always lose my pens.

I have a feeling that's how the heckler with turrets sydrome started out.

6 comments:

Beatriz said...

Really neat fieldtrip idea. Sounds like you had lots of side show entertainment with Mr. Turrets.

Becky said...

It was hysterically funny and at the same time I felt so guilty for laughing at someone so obviously ill.

Anonymous said...

This was undoubtedly the best night I've had in a LONG time. Lot's of friendly people all brought together by the same interest-what else-knitting. Is there anything else? If I'm going to get honked at by rude drivers I'll always be glad to have you as my accomplice Becky. Would they literally just explode all over the road if they just let us in once in a while. Sheesh! Maybe if all the Starbucks in LA closed for one day, they could all detox and calm down. Just a thought. When's our next adventure Becky?

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've had a chance to read your blog in two weeks.

So you wen't to Hollywood! I am impressed!

Cya in about 3 days! That is unless I'm too exhausted to come to work on Monday, after being on vacation for two weeks. :)

Becky said...

I'm not going to be at work on Monday. I get my shot, remember?

I submitted the parts that were heat treated too cold, but you need to submit the ones that were heat treated too hot.

Why do I feel like Goldilocks?

Becky said...

Sandy: I think we should go to Santa Monica and start on the purse that way we will have help and can hang out and make more friends.