Friday, September 08, 2006

Roger and Heidi's Big Adventure

My oldest child, Roger, the fruit of my looms, has moved to Texas with his girlfriend Heidi. I'm so excited for the two of them and proud of them for having the guts to venture forth into something new and relatively unknown.

Makes me feel like my son has a bit of the pioneer spirit flowing through his veins.

My great grandfather came from Sweden and after shoveling coal and saving his money he crossed the country in a covered wagon and homesteaded in Nebraska. He built his house out of sod then went back across the country to retreive his wife and children. They lost three children that first winter. That was over a hundred years ago and my mother still owns that 80 acres in Nebraska.

Okay, so it's not exactly a trip to Texas in a Nissan pickup, but it's the start of a great story. It definitely has the potential to be carried on for generations.

So now my besest friend Vicky (my riding partner in crime) moved back to Texas. Roger and Heidi have moved to Texas. I love Dr Pepper and they have Dr. Peppper in Texas with REAL CANE SUGAR. Not that corn syrup crap we get in California. Sorry Mom. (Mom raises corn on that 80 acres)

I think the cosmic gods are telling me to move to Texas. I've never even been to Texas, but I have three good reasons to go now. Maybe I'll like it and want to retire there right about the time John is finally finished with the house.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

DON'T MOVE TO TEXAS!

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't remember what part of Texas you said he was moving, but Texas can get cold in the winter. Even Houston has been know to get below freezing during the winter.

I sure hope he likes the cold!

Becky said...

They are already there and I think they have my son Joseph talked into coming out as well.

I won't move. How mean would that be after all the hard work John has done on the house.

I thought of you yesterday, Iwas in Target and they had a T-shirt that said Alaska, it's fricking cold here. It cracked me up.

Becky said...

Marc, He's lived in Littleton Colorado where he had to dig his Baja VW out of the snow in order to get to work. You have a short memory.

And besides I'm a knitter. I'll send him some gloves.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jessica. Don't move to Texas. Let's retire right here. Then we can always knit together:)

Becky said...

I won't, but I'd sure like to visit the Dr. Pepper plant in Dublin, TX, and maybe my kid while I'm there :-)

Anonymous said...

For emancipated, rational, free-thinking women, Texas is for VISITING, not for living.

(Y'all need slapped back to your senses - talk like that....)

Some friends who knit can probably get you some of that cane sugar Dr. Pepper shipped. Hear?