Friday, September 29, 2006

The Fight Must Continue


Safia Amajan, a leader in the rights for women, was laid to rest this week after being shot to death while wearing the traditional Islamic Burqa. Safia was on her way to work as director of Afghans Ministry to Women’s Affairs. Her requests for protection and safe transportation had been denied by her government. While a teacher for over 30 years, she also ran an underground school to teach girls.

In 2001, she opened 6 schools and helped teach over 1,000 women. This year alone, over 158 schools have been attacked in Afghanistan because they dare to teach women.

She refused to give up knowing the consequences of her actions because the future of other women's lives meant more to her than her own.

This week my biggest complaint was I was treated badly by a man over the phone because he doubted my female ability to interpret a specification.

I complain out of ignorance, because I forget how good I have it. I forget I can work where I want, wear what I want, learn what I want and say what I want and I want that for all women. I really do. But realistically, I'm not getting off my ass to do anything about it except send a check or talk about it.

But Safia walked the walk and for that she is my hero.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

So much coviction. Where does it come from? I guess from knowing there is a need, and then an almost super human inner strength.