Thursday, May 17, 2007

I Will Do Anything To Get Out Of Work

So, I'm on my way to the gas station on my lunch hour, minding my own business and I run out of diesel. Ironically, I had told my boss before I left I was taking a long lunch. I had no idea. So, after I panicked, I called AAA, my boss, my husband (I get his voice mail) and my purchasing manager, (who is a race car driver), in that order.

AAA advised me they will be here in thirty minutes, and since I never miss an opportunity to knit, guess what I did? Exactly. I had all the stuff to knit myself a blanket, if need be. So, I'm knitting while blocking traffic, getting the darndest glares and my phone rings and the Tow Truck driver can't find me. Are you sure you're on Rice? Yes, I'm in front of Big T's Freightlines. Okay, I may have ran out of diesel, but I know where the hell I am.

The tow truck drivers shows up and I explain to him I was on my way to the gas station and I think I might have run out of diesel and he lectures me. Nervy little bastard. " Lady," he says, "do you know what you have to do when you run out of diesel?" "Yes", I say, "you have to prime the engine (I had just learned that from my purchasing manager btw.)which is why I have AAA." He was not amused. So he tells me I'll tow you where ever you want to go, but the gas station up the road is out of business and I'm not priming your engine. So, I decide he should tow me home as my husband has no problem priming my engine so I'm sure he can fix the diesel.

He got my truck ready to be towed. I look at the truck through the rear window and I am reminded that John and I were married in this truck at the drive thru in Vegas which reminds me that John and Sandy share the same birthday. Which makes me think, "I wonder what Sandy is doing?" So, I call Sandy from the cab of the truck and tell her what happened. We both agree Oy' vey what a day we're having and agree we should go knit, IMMEDIATLEY.

On the drive home the tow truck driver and I are talking, because as my brother always said, I would talk to a serial killer if I were standing next to him in line. He tells me about the decline of gas stations and how no one knows how to work on a car much less a diesel engine. He tells me about his friend, Leo, who worked as a mechanic for 20 years and now the gas station where Leo worked isn't going to have mechanics because they are being foreced to put in a small store. I ask, "Is it Leo from the Chevron on Hemlock and Victoria?" And it is! What a small world.

I make it home, Sandy picks me up and we're off for another adventure.

3 comments:

Laura said...

i wish i had a sandy waiting for me down the street from my house :(

Becky said...

Well, she may not be down the street, but she's just an e-mail away. And dont' forget, party at Sandy's when you get back.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Laura said...

ugh good lord, that DOES sound sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet