Friday, June 30, 2006

A Letter to Elmo

  • Concrete Magazine


  • I want to thank you all for writing to Elmo. It's not everyday that one takes pen to paper to write to a convicted killer, regardless of their circumstances, and this has endeared me more to each and every one of you for the simple fact that you have treated him as the human being that he is.

    I've included some links that will take you to sites about him. I hope you enjoy them. I have talked Elmo into writing a blog. He use to be the Editor for the San Quentin paper and has a degree in journalism. He's a great writer.

    He doesn't write much lately as he spends a lot of his time reading law books. So, I told Elmo if he writes the stuff I will post his blog and then send him any comments. Letters? He said. This intrigued him as he loves to know what is going on in the outside world. Those of us who are obsessed with checking every five minutes to see if anyone has commented will think the time constraints would drive a person crazy. But, after 28 years, he still has amazing coping skills.

    In High School, Elmo built a grandfather clock that took several years of wood shop. So, yeah he's pretty got with patients. Unless you're ignorant. Then he has no patience.

    So any words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated.


  • Poetry by Elmo and other Inmates



  • 4 comments:

    Christina said...

    His poetry is wonderful! I look forward to a Blog :-)

    I told Jessica to write HI! from me in the letter.

    Jessica said...

    I, too, look foreward to the blog.

    I forgot about Christina's request. I can be a little lame. Sorry.

    Christina said...

    Jessica, you are forgiven. You were wildly distracted by the ladies. :-)

    So Becky, write HI! for me.

    Becky said...

    I already sent the letter. But I am sending him some information on Vallye Fever so I will tell him hi then.