Saturday, June 24, 2006

Things I'll Never Get Use To

People who use the word Nigga, like it's a good thing, is one of them.

Whenever I’m feeling blue, I get a call from Elmo which serves as a constant reminder as to what a whiner I am. He's in prison and has been for 28 years.

He calls last night after I had posted about my week. The highlight yesterday was when I went to get an x-ray only to discover I had driven, parked my truck and walked up to the stairs to Unilab where I get my blood work done.

Okay so back to Elmo. Were talking about the changing dichotomy of the prison yard and how he had to set a White man straight after he said “pass the ball, nigga” or something to that effect. Now it has been explained to me by my children that when the R is removed from the word it holds new “meaning”. Like for me as a youngster, bad meant good. Well, bad didn’t represent a group of people that had been oppressed and were deemed less than human. I was shocked when Elmo told me that my son Joseph greets him on the phone with “whassup, my nigga?” Elmo can’t reach through the phone and kick his ass. I wonder if he would like to. But it pissed me off and next time I see Joseph I’m opening a can of whoop ass on him!

I don’t care how you say it or spell it, I don’t like it and I will never get use to it. I was raised not to say it as it was a sign of ignorance and now everything I and my parents worked for has flown out the window. I raised my children not to say it and now the call each other nigga.

If someone calls me a cunt without the T, I’m going off and they are fair game. I slit a man’s eyelid open after I clocked him with my right hook (I was wearing my mothers ring) for calling me that word 10 years ago in TGIF’s. A couple of months ago I was in a two lane that merged into one and a guy that had a bigger truck than I did tried and failed to gutter snipe me. I saw him form the universal symbol for the C word and I put my truck in park, got out and ranted and raved like a lunatic while the light was green because that is just bad fucking manners.

Maybe it is alright and I’m just getting old. Maybe the more it’s said in a “friendly” manner the less “hateful” connotation it will hold.

But somehow I doubt it.

Late.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SAY WHAT!!! YOU DID WHAT???? You got out of your truck and ranted and raved at this guy.

Bad manners or not, it's not worth it. Who knows what he might have done. Forget about it!!!

Life's too short to get pissed of at such stupid things.

There are a lot more things to be pissed of at, like how about channeling all that hostility to reforming the US health care system

Becky said...

Geez Louise calm down already. It was months ago and I told you about it when it happened and that part wasn't even the point of my rant.

You never pay attention to me.

PS what did you get for your birthday?

Christina said...

Interestingly enough, "nigga" is widely used by the young african-american population. It confuses me. Didn't their parents suffer enough for them to leave that one thing alone? I just want to tell them how "not cool" it is, but they would definitally look at me and laugh.

In a realted side note, did you know that there is a monolouge in the Vagina Monolouges called "reclaiming the cunt" and it is all about how wonderful the word cunt is?

Great show, but that one bit I really really don't get.

Jessica said...

I don't understand the nigga thing either. I just try to steer clear of it, which isn't hard considering the croud I run with.

Some people argue that language is how you use it (of course, others think those people are stupid). But it's an interesting thing when the problem with language isn't just that it's confusing but that it's offensive as well. Because when I communicate I want to give something to a person not take something away.