Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Summer Solstice

Okay, so everyone who knows me knows I’m full-blooded Swedish and has heard me carry on ad nauseum about our pagan influence intermingled in religious practices.

But the celebration of the Solstice is not unique to Scandinavians.

Today is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, where the power of the Sun is at its height. The day Baulder is said to have been sacrificed only to be born again at Jul. Baulder is One of the Aesir, his name means "The Glorious". He was also called the "god of tears" and the "white as". Some consider him to be a god of light since he was so bright, light shined from him.

Plants and water hold special healing powers tonight. Evil spirits run free on this night, so be sure to have a fire burning for protection.

The tradition of burning bon fires was Christianized" when the “church” set June 24th as the day celebrating the birth of John the Baptist said to be a “a burning and shining light”. Sounds like Baulder to me. John the Baptist is the only saint (as far as I know, I could be wrong) to have his nativity celebrated which seems to place him rather high.

Women would roll naked in the morning dew to become fertile, hence, a June wedding.

Because Solstice is one of the times of the year when magic is believed to be the strongest, it is a good night to perform rituals to look into the future.

If you missed the sun rise like I did be sure to catch the sun set.

The sun provides for us the light of life, honor this life giving power.

Why Even the Christians

Who stole our traditions

Partake in this glorious fun


1 comment:

Christina said...

I'm glad I didn't roll in any Dew this morning - I can't afford a baby right now.

I love these facts! makes the summer solstice more interesting and fun. thanks for sharing :-)